The Bayaud Experience

In the early 90's, I moved into a rowhouse at the address of 22 E. Bayaud. It wasn't long after I moved in before the activity began. I experienced my bedroom door shaking, light bulbs constantly burning out, and even my name being called. Some of my room mates had complained that their closet light would turn on and off. One of them became so afraid that he slept with a crucifix on his chest. Also, upon entering the basement, one would get a very heavy feeling. The activity wasn't constant, but it was enough to believe that something unsettling was occuring.

    A couple of my friends came over to hang out one Friday evening and I told them about the strange things that were happening in the house. I explained that I wanted to try contacting whatever it was through a Ouija board, but I didn't have one and I wasn't sure if they actually worked anyway. My friends proceeded to tell me that they had one in their truck. They said that they didn't use it anymore because it frightened them after a spirit told them that it hated one of them. I had a hard time believing that it worked, but they said they didn't want it anymore and that I could have it. I accepted the offer, so my friend went out to his truck to get it.

   On the following weekend, I had a few more friends over and after a few beers, we decided to see if the Ouija board worked. We turned out all the lights and lit some solid black candles. We began asking it questions and it didn't take long before the eyepiece started to move. I don't remember everything we asked it, but I do remember it spelling out my mother's name. My friend that was asking it questions with me asked me who's name it was and I told her that it was my mother's first name. For the next half hour or so, we asked it questions until the eyepiece was moving so fast that our hands couldn't keep up with it and the eyepiece would repeatedly shoot off the board. While we were using the Ouija board, one of my friends was lying on the floor and said that he could see that the eyepiece was slightly floating above the board the entire time. We eventually became scared of what we were getting ourselves into and stopped playing with it.
    After using the Ouija board, the activity in my house seemed to increase. My girlfriend at the time told me that she witnessed the cabinet doors move and one of my room mates said that he felt something pulling on his matress from underneath his bed. It got to the point where the feeling in the basement was so heavy that I refused to go downstairs. One evening, myself and a friend of mine even heard something m oan my name from the dining room in the back of my house, but the scariest thing was yet to come.

    At the time, I had a job working with my stepfather and he would honk his horn to pick me up in the morning, so I would oftenly sleep on the couch to hear his horn. One night around two in the morining, I was sleeping on the couch and I thought I heard the voice of a small child next to me which woke me up out of my sleep. I laid there for a second in the dark with my eyes open and I heard the voice again right next to my ear. It asked, "Steve, can I have some candy?" I was so frightened that I couldn't even move or shout my room mate's name. Even as I am typing this, it still gives me chills to think about it. It's something that I'll never forget.

    I ended up getting a job at the liquor store conveniently located on the corner of my block, but a couple years later I moved. I kept my job at the liquor store, but I didn't want the Ouija board at my new place where I was living with my friend and his mother. My boss said I culd store some things in the basement of the liquor store, so I put the Ouija board in a trunk and left it down there. I didn't think that it would cause any problems that way, but I was wrong. The activity wasn't strong, but it was enough to notice. Bottles would fall off the shelves for no apparent reason and sometimes break. One of my co-workers said that he had seen it happen too.

    The last place I had the Ouija board was at a house where I had moved in with my new girlfriend and her mother. A week after I moved in, their dog died and exactly one week later, their parrot died. Was it a coincidence? I'm not sure, but their deaths weren't the only things that happened. In the middle of the night, I would frequently wake up and go downstairs to get a drink of water. I always felt as if something was watching me from the corner of the living room. It was very overwhelming at times. One night I woke up to get a drink and as soon as I entered the kitchen, the light turned on. Eventually, things got to where the light would turn on as soon as I walked out of my bedroom door. I knew this because I could see the light illuminate the stairway. Needless to say, I began taking a glass of water to bed with me.

    Afer experiencing these events, I decided to get rid of the Ouija board. I took it to a local novelty store to see if they wanted to buy it. After all, it WAS old. The owner said that he would normally love to buy it, but since the box had a rip in it he said that it wasn't worth much to him. I told him that I didn't want it anymore and he could have it. Upon giving it to him, I noticed that it was made in Salem, Massachusetts which definitley raised an eyebrow. To this day, I've never owned another Ouija board, but I'm still intrigued by the paranormal.

Back to Stories